Frequently Asked Questions About Working With a Personal Injury Attorney

If you've been injured in a car accident, on someone else's property or while on the job, it's always good to consult with a personal injury attorney. He or she can ensure you file a claim within the legally required time limits, if you should need to go to trial and ensure you're being fairly compensated for injuries and related expenses. While no two cases are alike, there are some questions you might have about working with a personal injury attorney; note a few of those here and then discuss them in greater detail with your attorney if you still need more information.

What if I'm to blame for the accident?

If you are to blame for an accident or injury, and even if you failed to take sufficient steps to protect yourself, this can reduce your claim or eliminate it altogether. This is to prevent persons from purposely injuring themselves on another person's property and then trying to file suit.

However, you don't want to assume that something was your fault when you've been injured; to say that you 'weren't looking' when walking down a store aisle or the steps of a building doesn't mean that you're to blame if there was a hazard in your way, poorly maintained flooring, damaged steps and the like. Be honest with your attorney about the circumstances of your case, but never make assumptions as to your overall responsibility.

Is the lawsuit against the property owner or an insurance company?

In some cases, you may have a claim against both. The insurance company may be liable for your medical costs and expenses, but a property owner may be liable if they failed to maintain their property. An employer may have liability if he or she did not provide you with safe working conditions. If you're hesitant to sue an individual, talk to an solicitor about this and he or she can advise on your options for a lawsuit.

Can you file a claim on behalf of another person?

If someone has died due to their injuries, their immediate family can usually file a claim, and of course parents can file on behalf of minor children. However, for another adult, you may need to prove that they are totally disabled or otherwise unable to file their own claim. As with other details about a potential suit, don't make assumptions about this. Speak to a solicitor about their circumstances and why you want to file a claim on their behalf, and they can advise you on your rights.

About Me

Workplace Law: What You Need to Know

My name is Ian. I used to work at a bank. However, I don't work there anymore. My boss was a bit of a bully. He would make jokes about me in front of other people in the office and would constantly criticise my work. I didn't know what to do. I was very unhappy. I mentioned the situation to my friend who recommended that I visit a lawyer as he thought I might have a case. I was a little apprehensive, but my friend supported me. Going to a lawyer was the best thing I ever did. The employment tribunal ruled in my favour and I was given an official apology and a compensation payout. I have now started a new job which I love. I decided to start this blog to educate others about workplace law.